Contest entries
 Standing out in a Crowd
By Alison Ranheim
posted 21:50 CST Today (within the last hour)
Piggy back
By Dustin Groff
posted 20:25 CST Today (1 hour ago)
3rd safety stop of the day. East End wall  Grand Cayman. Bubbles  Boat  Dive  Camera. Olympus E PL5 with 14 42 lens. Im happy I got it all in
By Samantha Morgan
posted 20:14 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Manta s
By Stuart Ganz
posted 19:47 CST Today (2 hours ago)
nudibranch
By Abdulla Almehairi
posted 16:11 CST Today (5 hours ago)
Blue ringed octopus in Raja Ampat.
By Mehmet Salih Bilal
posted 15:27 CST Today (6 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latest.
Indonesia, Celebes Sea
dive sites latestPloskiy Kamen
Ukraine, Black Sea
dive sites latestsplit rock north ...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSplit Rock, Cayma...
dive sites latestnorth wall grand ...
dive sites latestEls Farallons
Spain, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestSarang Koh Lipe
Thailand, Andaman Sea
dive sites latestMoorea, French Po...
French Polynesia, Pacific
dive sites latestWest-Nothern cap
Russia, Barents Sea
dive sites latestCascate i capelli...
Italy

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Luis Escalada

Nudibranchia
Nudibranchia by Luis Escalada
VOTES: 15
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011- (3/27/2011 10:45:00 AM)
Category: Macro - Nudibranchia
message this message is important Dear Luis,
Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest.

You have requested a review of your photo. Let me shortly explain how it works :
I will structure my review into a few chapters and will list problem zones (if there are any)
and will suggest solutions or give some advices on how to improve results.

As we do have a limited space for each post here, please note that my review will be like 2-3 posts in total. If you are online and see my first part of review : Please wait for your answer
- in case you want to write one - until my review has been completed. Thank you smile

Important : The new "photo critic" feature here at UWP is not a putdown of uw photos.
Critical comments are meant to help you improved your work with an analytic review. It is also here to suggest solutions. The objective is to see you here as a winner one day and I would be very happy smile

And here we go (Photo review start with next post) :

Raoul Caprez
18853 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique

First impression
1) hmm ... 2) Too small

Technical
Exposure is not completely good. Colours are missing a bit. Depth of field is good. Sharpness is ok but could be a bit better.

Problem :
There’s a white balance problem.
A bit of light is missing too.

Suggested Solution :
Refer to camera's manual and set up a proper white balance; or shoot in RAW/DNG and do the white balance in an RAW converter during postproduction.
For the light, buy yourself a flash … it’s one of the most important items of an uw photographer. The white balance problem will be solved with an external strobe.

Composition :
The animal is centred and too small in the frame. The picture has been taken from above. Horizontal cropping.

Problem :
Not close enough. Not optimum angle of shooting. Animal in the center.

Raoul Caprez
18853 point member

message  Suggested Solution :
Almost fill the frame with the animal. You will see, it gives a better impact.
An upwards angle of shooting would be better as well… in fact, never shoot downwards smile Never centre the subject, put your animal a little bit on the side (on the left in that case).
Try to keep standard ratios (such as 2/3, 3/4 or 5/7) without cropping. If the idea was to have a kind of diagonal, it’s not clear enough.

Photo object & Approach
The approach is not close enough. The animal runs away.

Problem :
Not close enough. We see the animal from the back and from over.

Suggested Solution :
Again, try to be closer smile With such small animals, we're never close enough. With the Canon G11, you can go closer for sure :-), but it could be still not enough close … you can also add a macro lens on your Ikelite housing.

Raoul Caprez
18853 point member

message For the approach, try to have the animal looking at you, so we can catch the “look”, which gives a good impression.
At least, try to be minimum at the same height as the animal. If you can be a bit under, the animal would be more impressive smile … yes a nudibranch could be smile

Epilogue
You start with a very small animal ! You seem to have the "eye" to find and approach them. That's already very good and essential to have such picture :-). Then, when you shoot, just think that your pictures must tell something, and give a message. With that idea, and getting closer, I’m sure you will have good results.
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

P.-S. : If you have time, have a look at the UWP uw photography online course : website

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
18853 point member