Contest entries
Followed the curious sound of Donna Summer and Bee Gees music until I came upon the Shrimp with the Disco ball eyes...
By Tig Fong
posted 16:46 CST Today (1 hour ago)
This is my home
By Iyad Suleyman
posted 16:14 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Stargazer in Dauin   D
By Daniel Strub
posted 14:04 CST Today (3 hours ago)

By Nadya Kulagina
posted 12:50 CST Today (5 hours ago)
Yellowface Blenny
By J. Daniel Horovatin
posted 12:49 CST Today (5 hours ago)
Stargazer  Uranoscopidae
By Beth Watson
posted 12:34 CST Today (5 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestKelvin's Grove BC
Canada, Pacific
dive sites latestSouthern Komodo
Indonesia, Indian Ocean
dive sites latestPool
Egypt, Arabian Sea
dive sites latestPamilacan
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestsorry I dont know...
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestSealine beach
Qatar, Persian/Arabian Gulf
dive sites latestUnterwilen, Vitznau
Switzerland
dive sites latestlembeh bitung
Indonesia, Sulu and Sulawesi Seas
dive sites latest沙島
Taiwan, Philippine Sea
dive sites latesta
Philippines, Philippine Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry
-Jellyfish Lake- by Reinhard Arndt
by: Reinhard Arndt
-Jellyfish Lake-
votes: 27
vote

forum thread for this image
posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011- (5/15/2011 4:19:00 PM)
category: Wide Angle - Marine Life
message this message is important Dear Reinhard,
...welcome back ! As I see you a beeing quiet diligent here at this contest, I'll do my best to "follow your speed" smile And here we go again :

Photo Critique

First impression
"looks interesting !"

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 4, Colours: 5, Sparpness: 5, DOF ( depht of field ) : 4, Contrast : 5

Suggestions :
Considering that the "black zone" in this photo came out of your creative mind, I have found this photo technically well done. Maybe slight to much "colour boost", but well....people like colours, don't they ?

Composition
"Snell's window" is an interesting "creative tool". The jellyfishes do look like a little bit "mixed up" to me. In my opinium it would be better to have only 3 or max. 4 of them in this kind of composition.

Suggestions :
As jellyfishes don't have ears ( lol ! ) it's difficult to give them a proper pre-dive briefing.

Rico Besserdich
19765 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

message ...so it is up to you to show some more patience and wait for an better opportunity. They ( the jellyfishes ) at least don't swim so fast - there should be plenty of time to wait for having them in a more "pleasing" formation ( like 3 of them in the blue, 1 or max 2 in the black ). However, this is an interesting shot and "to be different" can't be wrong in this competetive world ;-)

Subject
Many people don't like jellyfishes, but I think they are very interesting and even quiet "fotogen" lifeforms. In my personal opinium, jellyfishes are beside the plancton the very best examples for "pelagic" marine lifeforms and therefore "cool" smile

Suggestions :
Jellyfishes do have moving patterns that you can understand and use for better photos....if you are willing to spend time on it.

Epilogue
You are doin' well but need to compare your own photos more with those of others in an analytic way. Compare and learn.....

All the best,

Rico

www....

Rico Besserdich
19765 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

Answer Hi Rico,
thank you for your comment. My problem by making my photos in Jellyfish Lake was that it is still prohibited to dive there. The only way to get photos is to snorkel. So there was pretty short time to plan and arrange pictures. So I made lots of photos hoping to get a handfull which are not too bad. Some of them I'll submit the next weeks.
By the way, the "black zone" in this photo "came out of my creative mind". It's the edge of the forest at the bank of the lake.
Best wishes
Reinhard

Reinhard Arndt
1630 point member
Reinhard Arndt member image