Contest entries
Flabelina
By Giroudon Jean-Pierre
posted 17:02 CST Today (within the last hour)
Very curious fish.
By Giroudon Jean-Pierre
posted 16:06 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Curious blenny
By Dmitry Starostenkov
posted 15:18 CST Today (2 hours ago)
Whale Shark beginning to descend
near Isla Mujeres  Mexico
By Ken Kiefer
posted 14:55 CST Today (3 hours ago)
The scuba diver is moving over the sandy bottom in shallow part of Lake Baykal.
By Dmitry Starostenkov
posted 14:51 CST Today (3 hours ago)
Early morning on a clean beach  sea air is good for the soul  
Singer Island   West Palm Beach  Fl
By Steven Anderson
posted 13:24 CST Today (4 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latest.
Indonesia, Celebes Sea
dive sites latestPloskiy Kamen
Ukraine, Black Sea
dive sites latestsplit rock north ...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSplit Rock, Cayma...
dive sites latestnorth wall grand ...
dive sites latestEls Farallons
Spain, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestSarang Koh Lipe
Thailand, Andaman Sea
dive sites latestMoorea, French Po...
French Polynesia, Pacific
dive sites latestWest-Nothern cap
Russia, Barents Sea
dive sites latestCascate i capelli...
Italy

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Reinhard Arndt

-Jellyfish Lake-
-Jellyfish Lake- by Reinhard Arndt
VOTES: 27
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011- (5/15/2011 4:19:00 PM)
Category: Wide Angle - Marine Life
message this message is important Dear Reinhard,
...welcome back ! As I see you a beeing quiet diligent here at this contest, I'll do my best to "follow your speed" smile And here we go again :

Photo Critique

First impression
"looks interesting !"

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 4, Colours: 5, Sparpness: 5, DOF ( depht of field ) : 4, Contrast : 5

Suggestions :
Considering that the "black zone" in this photo came out of your creative mind, I have found this photo technically well done. Maybe slight to much "colour boost", but well....people like colours, don't they ?

Composition
"Snell's window" is an interesting "creative tool". The jellyfishes do look like a little bit "mixed up" to me. In my opinium it would be better to have only 3 or max. 4 of them in this kind of composition.

Suggestions :
As jellyfishes don't have ears ( lol ! ) it's difficult to give them a proper pre-dive briefing.

Rico Besserdich
19799 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

message ...so it is up to you to show some more patience and wait for an better opportunity. They ( the jellyfishes ) at least don't swim so fast - there should be plenty of time to wait for having them in a more "pleasing" formation ( like 3 of them in the blue, 1 or max 2 in the black ). However, this is an interesting shot and "to be different" can't be wrong in this competetive world ;-)

Subject
Many people don't like jellyfishes, but I think they are very interesting and even quiet "fotogen" lifeforms. In my personal opinium, jellyfishes are beside the plancton the very best examples for "pelagic" marine lifeforms and therefore "cool" smile

Suggestions :
Jellyfishes do have moving patterns that you can understand and use for better photos....if you are willing to spend time on it.

Epilogue
You are doin' well but need to compare your own photos more with those of others in an analytic way. Compare and learn.....

All the best,

Rico

www....

Rico Besserdich
19799 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

Answer Hi Rico,
thank you for your comment. My problem by making my photos in Jellyfish Lake was that it is still prohibited to dive there. The only way to get photos is to snorkel. So there was pretty short time to plan and arrange pictures. So I made lots of photos hoping to get a handfull which are not too bad. Some of them I'll submit the next weeks.
By the way, the "black zone" in this photo "came out of my creative mind". It's the edge of the forest at the bank of the lake.
Best wishes
Reinhard

Reinhard Arndt
1670 point member
Reinhard Arndt member image