Contest entries
Cute but scared am I friend or foe.
By John Roach
posted 13:23 CST Today (within the last hour)
Stingray Eye/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens at Cabo San Lucas  Mexico
By Laurie Slawson
posted 12:54 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Felimare californiensis/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens at Cabo San Lucas  Mexico
By Laurie Slawson
posted 12:52 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Costaciella
By Niky Šímová
posted 00:39 CST Today (13 hours ago)
This lined seahorse was an easy find even in poor visibility  This guy almost seemed to glow up against the dark background.
By Griff Gainnie
posted Saturday, June 15, 2019
Lettuce Sea Slug  Elysia crispata  Bonaire
By Pauline Walsh Jacobson
posted Saturday, June 15, 2019

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestSt Andrews State ...
United States, Gulf Of Mexico
dive sites latestKolymbia beach, R...
Greece, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestHousereef Scuba S...
Indonesia, Bali Sea
dive sites latestEl Golfet, Costa ...
Spain, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestUmm Gamar (El Gou...
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestAquarium
Dominica, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSomewhere in Kimb...
Papua New Guinea, Bismarck Sea
dive sites latestWananavu Resort
Fiji, Pacific
dive sites latestL’enfer de Dante
France
dive sites latestveracruz
Mexico, Gulf Of Mexico

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Cynthia Campbell

This is the Mirror effect of a friendly and curious Batfi...
This is the Mirror effect of a friendly and curious Batfi... by Cynthia Campbell
VOTES: 65
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011- (6/11/2011 4:00:00 AM)
Category: Macro - swimming
Book a Dive Trip to Malaysia
message this message is important Dear Cynthia,
Thank for your submission to the contest and welcome to UWP.
You have requested a review of your photo. Let me shortly explain how it works :
As we do have a limited space for each post here, please note that my review will be like 2-3 posts in total. If you want to answer me, please wait until my review has been completed; as photo critics, we do this job as volunteers; a "thank you" is always appreciated smile
My review is structured into chapters and I will list problem zones (if there are any) and I will suggest solutions on how to improve results.
Important : The "photo critic" feature here at UWP is not a putdown of uw photos. The objective is to see you here as a winner one day !
For the basics (in case of), an uw photography online course is available here at UWP and it's always a good idea to sign up for that one.

And here we go ! (Photo review starts with next post) :

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique :

First impression :
Square cropping … but nice couple.

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 4, Colours: 3, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 5, Contrast : 4

Suggested Solution :
You can improve a part of the colours, contrast and exposure problems using the RAW (or DNG) file format. With this file, you can work in post production on the computer and correct them a bit. In the case you’ve used a kind of "dynamic colour boost" in postproduction, be careful ! … it gives an interesting contrast but it’s not always completely natural. "Auto levels" does usually not work well for uw photos, when using Photoshop or any other image editing program.
Finally, if you have used the zoom of the camera, try not to do it. Less the distance is between the photographer and the subject better the image can be; if there is too much water between the camera lens and the subject, the quality is less good.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Composition :
Square cropping with a centred subject.

Suggested Solution :
I see that you work on the composition with a square cropping, but try to keep standard ratios (such as 2/3, 3/4 or 5/7) at the beginning. Breaking the rules is possible but for very special reasons (compositions), like abstract ones for example.
Then, for horizontal frame, try not to centre your subject to break the symmetry. In that case, put the batfishes on the right to let them more place to swim.

Subject
Nice subjects for the photographer, even if they’re not very colourful.
In that case, the angle of shooting is not optimum in my opinion.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Suggested Solution :
The picture gives the feeling of a slight downward angle of shooting, especially for the second batfish.
In general, it's good to be minimum at the same height as the animal you want to shoot; it's usually better for the impact of the picture.
Next time, you could also try to shoot with the idea to have the four eyes looking at you; it could give you a nice and impressive double face to face.

Epilogue
Welcome in the contest ! You did a quite good start !
Now, when you shoot, just think that your pictures must tell something or give message or an emotion. With that idea, and thinking a bit more about composition, I’m sure you will have good results.
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message Thank you very much for your help!! Im still a beginner at this and also new with strobe! Ill keep in mind everything that you said and put it in practice next dive!
cynthia

Rastacyn
147 point member
member image

message It's always a pleasure to help Cynthia !

Best regards

Raoul

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member