Contest entries
Family photo
By Sergiy Glushchenko
posted 09:44 CST Today (within the last hour)
A serene pair of feeding Whale Sharks  a ballet couple come to mind....
By Nina Baxa
posted 06:17 CST Today (3 hours ago)
Whitemargin stargazer buried under sand at night
By Laura Dinraths
posted 03:56 CST Today (6 hours ago)
 In a time of universal deceit   telling the truth is a revolutionary act.  George Orwell. Reef Crab   Callinectes sp. Chaloklum  Thailand EM5 Oly 60mm 1/80 f2.8 iso200 Inon D2000   Inon UCL165 H2oToolsx2
By Stefan Follows
posted Thursday, July 31, 2014
Chromodoris willani. Taken in Lembeh.
By Christian Gloor
Jewels below Paradise Pier
By Alex Mitchell

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestJetty padang bai
Indonesia, Bali Sea
dive sites latestUnknown
United Kingdom, Sea of the Hebrides
dive sites latestJetty - padang ba...
Indonesia, Bali Sea
dive sites latestSunset House, Gra...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestswimmingpool
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea
dive sites latestMy backyard
Dominica, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestMala Pier
United States, Pacific
dive sites latestPorto Elea, Chalk...
Greece, Aegean Sea
dive sites latestMacabucca
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestC.Miseno
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Andrew Kemp

A Porcelain Crab filter feeding. Shot with Canon 5 D MKII...
A Porcelain Crab filter feeding. Shot with Canon 5 D MKII... by Andrew Kemp
VOTES: 20
Check to vote!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011- (6/18/2011 2:42:00 AM)
Category: Macro - Close-Up
message this message is important Dear Andrew,

Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest smile

You've requested a critique of your photo.

How it works:

I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones (if there are any ).

My critique will be like 2-3 posts in total, please wait with any answers untill
you see the note "photo critic completed" - thanks smile

As we photo critics do this job as volunteers and as this service ist free of charge, a feedback on how this critique was useful to you is always appreciated.

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions.

The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

First impression

Exciting view on this porcelain crab, but with technical isuues

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 3, Colours: 3, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 4, Contrast : 3

Suggestions :

There is room for Improvement regarding the exposure. One the one hand, we se overexposed parts as well as deeply black part. The dynamic range of a Canon 5D Mark II brings better results. You can achieve better results by positioning your flashes correctly and regulate the strength manually.
Further there's a colour cast, enhanced by oversaturating. A proper White Balance can help a lot. I hope you take your pictures in Raw format, so you can adjust WB manually as a first step of postprocessing. The pic is missing clearness and the final crisp of sharpness. Also two steps in postprocessing pictures.

Composition :

Very nice angle, frame nicly filled, cent...

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message  Suggestions :

The angle gives a very exciting view on the crab. The filtration can be seen, but there is still room for improvement. Place the subject within the rule of thirds.

Subject :
Porcelain crabs are a common subject but nevertheless with potential for a top shot.

Suggestions :

You've got the action and you've got a nice angle. Points of critiques are mainly restrictd to the technical part.

Epilogue :

You have got a very nice gear! And the eye of a photographer. This is way more than others have. Your job is clear: exercise, exercise, exercise! Know your gear by heart.

There is a very good course here on UWP which will help you a lot:

website

I'm sure, you'll show us very good shots in the near future smile

All the best,

Henry
website

--------Photo Critique completed-------- <...

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message Henry,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Very much appreciated.

I dont shoot in Raw, and know very little about post processing, following just 2 steps of unsharp mask and colour balance. I will work on these issues.

One question? Rule of thirds? I thought one of the matras for macro photography was to 'fill the frame' ?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

cheers
Andrew

Awakemp
143 point member
member image

message You're wellcome, Andrew

Two steps of postprocessing? They are the first two steps, and they're always hard doh!
Most probably you can shot in RAW and JPEG Mode with your 5D, so you get a calculated version and one you can experience with. You'll see, soon your not satisfied anymore with the JPEG smile

Rule of thirds, fill the frame, there many ways to please the spectators. Often you can even combine them. In your pic its just a little shift to the left with your subject. At least the eyes are in the upper third! It doesn't matter, no, often it's mandatory to give the animals some space to breathe. (That's not an issue with this pic). As I stated in the critique: "frame nicely filled".

And sometimes, breaking the rule is the key to a perfect picture! But you have to know what you're doing.

The life of a composer is not easy... But you're on a very good way smile

Cheers
Henry

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message Cheers Henry.

Thanks for all your help smile

Awakemp
143 point member
member image