Contest entries
Seascape and butterfly fishes
By Greg Fleurentin
posted 12:44 CST Today (within the last hour)
Fairy Basslet  Gramma loreto
By Pauline Walsh Jacobson
posted 11:40 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Fish and Coral tubastrea  Isla Lobos Mexico
By Alejandro Topete
posted 10:11 CST Today (2 hours ago)
Nembrotha chamberlaini/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens at Anilao  Philippines
By Laurie Slawson
posted 09:35 CST Today (3 hours ago)
Male Ribbon Eel/Photographed with a 60 mm macro lens at Lembeh  Indonesia
By Laurie Slawson
posted 09:32 CST Today (3 hours ago)
Watching this school of neon fusiliers being hunted by bluefin jack and dogtooth tunas was like watching NatGeo on TV  just better. To catch the movement I used a long shutter speed of 1/10th sec
By Joerg Blessing
posted 08:46 CST Today (4 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestMingo Cay
Virgin Islands U.S., Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestParede Quarteira ...
Portugal
dive sites latestMike's Dauin Resort
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestVanishing Rocks
Virgin Islands (British), Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSlpain
Myanmar (Burma), Bellinghausen Sea
dive sites latestGrass Cay
dive sites latestHawksnest Bay, St...
dive sites latestFrench Cap Island
dive sites latestDog Rocks
dive sites latestFrench Cap

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Cynthia Campbell

Little nudi fighting the current!
Ikelite casing, Canon...
Little nudi fighting the current! 
Ikelite casing, Canon... by Cynthia Campbell
VOTES: 12
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011- (9/29/2011 6:07:00 AM)
Category: Macro - Nudibranchia
Book a Dive Trip to Malaysia
message this message is important Dear Cynthia,
You have requested a review of your photo. It’s again my turn to write you some critical comments to help you to improve your work with an analytic review.
As you know, the objective is always to see you here on UWP as a winner one day.
You have already read the foreword, so I will directly start my review :

Photo Critique :

First impression :
A nudi in action !

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 2, Colours: 4, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 4, Contrast : 4

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Suggested Solution :
Usually you can improve a bit the colours, the contrast and the exposure problems in post production, but not in that case …. you can only regret the shadow on the head of the nudibranch (and in the middle down of the frame). I suggest you to play more with your external strobe to solve this problem (position, orientation, power). The shadow might be done by the objective of the camera between your (internal ?) strobe and the subject.
Well, then, to add impact to your picture, the hard work is - like often - in the composition and in the approach.

Composition :
A kind of square cropping, a not centred subject and a slightly disturbing colourful background.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Suggested Solution :
Not to put your subject in the center is good. I see again that you work on the composition with a kind of square cropping. I suggest you to keep standard ratios such as 2/3, 3/4 or 5/7, it's more common.
An upwards angle of shooting would be better for me, but I understand the downward shooting to show the nice colours on the back of the animal. To avoid having a kind of disturbing background behind your subject, an upward angle of shooting could be a solution; try to change your approach to have a uniformed blue background or play with the speed and the f-stop to have a black one. It could help to show only your subject if you want.

Subject
I often say that Nudibranches are underwater photographers’ friends: nice colours, not too quick, we can go closer, … They usually give the opportunity to try different compositions and effects.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message But there are a lot of nudi pictures in the contest and so it’s difficult to do something new with them smile

Suggested Solution :
Next time, you can try to go a bit closer with a different approach. You can fill the frame with your animal. You will see that a lot of the nudibranches’ pictures that received a lot of votes on UWP are mostly when the animal fill the frame.
In general, a face to face with the animal gives always a more interactive picture smile

Epilogue
You have the "eye" to find small animals; that's already very good and essential to have such picture :-).
You’ve fixed a nice moment which gives a good idea of the” hard” life of a nudibranch smile I like that because it’s not only a nudi’s pic … it tells something and it can give an natural emotion.
For sure, if you had been closer with a good lighting you would have had more votes.
I’m looking forward to see your next pictures.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message Thank you very much for the tips and will put them in practice!
happy bubbles!

Rastacyn
147 point member
member image