Contest entries
Followed the curious sound of Donna Summer and Bee Gees music until I came upon the Shrimp with the Disco ball eyes...
By Tig Fong
posted 16:46 CST Today (within the last hour)
This is my home
By Iyad Suleyman
posted 16:14 CST Today (within the last hour)
Stargazer in Dauin   D
By Daniel Strub
posted 14:04 CST Today (2 hours ago)

By Nadya Kulagina
posted 12:50 CST Today (4 hours ago)
Yellowface Blenny
By J. Daniel Horovatin
posted 12:49 CST Today (4 hours ago)
Stargazer  Uranoscopidae
By Beth Watson
posted 12:34 CST Today (4 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestPool
Egypt, Arabian Sea
dive sites latestPamilacan
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestsorry I dont know...
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestSealine beach
Qatar, Persian/Arabian Gulf
dive sites latestUnterwilen, Vitznau
Switzerland
dive sites latestlembeh bitung
Indonesia, Sulu and Sulawesi Seas
dive sites latest沙島
Taiwan, Philippine Sea
dive sites latesta
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestSt.Johns Reef
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestthis is a swimmin...
Congo

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry
Blenny in mating colors by Paul Beckman
by: Paul Beckman
Blenny in mating colors
votes: 12
vote

forum thread for this image
posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011- (10/6/2011 5:15:00 AM)
category: Wide Angle - Natural Light (no strobe)
message this message is important Dear Paul,
Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest smile

You've requested a critique of your photo. How it works :
I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones ( if there are any ). My critique will be like 2-3 posts in total, please wait with any answers until you see the note 'photo critic completed' - thanks smile

As we photo critics do this job as volunteers, a 'thank you' is always appreciated (no 'thanks' = no more critiques ).

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions. The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Rico Besserdich
19765 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

message  Photo Critique

First impression
"...a classic case".....

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 3, Colours: 3, Sparpness: 2, DOF ( depht of field ) : 2, Contrast : 2

Suggestions :
There is only one way : Refer to your camera's manual. Check especially for different light measuring functions ( such as middle integrated, spot etc. ). This photo looks like a camera was set to "full automatic". Well, no good idea in the special conditions of underwater ;-)

Composition
main subject too small, distracting elements, too far.

Suggestions :
You'd managed a quiet good angle of shooting ( eye to eye ), but IF the fish is your main subject you need to go way closer to it. That'S the only way : Go Closer !!

Rico Besserdich
19765 point member

message  Subject
Interesting fish and it counts for you that you were able to find it smile

Suggestions :
Same thing : Go closer ! Sometimes, this is not possible. In case you can't do a proper & close approach : Go and find a better "subject, then". It needs patience and a lot of trials, but to win this contest, extraordinary efford is almost "mandatory" ;-)

Epilogue
Take your time and look to all those great shots here at UWP. Also the online u/w photography course will for sure be a big help ( website ).

By time and by practising more I am very sure that your phots will become better and better smile

All the best,

Rico

website

Rico Besserdich
19765 point member

message Thanks, Rico. The camera was on full auto, I'd never seen this species before and was in only a couple of feet of water and took a bunch of shots but since I was close he was spooked and this was the best of the bunch. Appreciate the critique.
Paul

Pincusb
81 point member
pincusb member image

Rico Besserdich wrote: comment

Suggestions :
Same thing : Go closer ! Sometimes, this is not possible. In case you can't do a proper & close approach : Go and find a better "subject, then". It needs patience and a lot of trials, but to win this contest, extraordinary efford is almost "mandatory" ;-)

Epilogue
Take your time and look to all those great shots here at UWP. Also the online u/w photography course will for sure be a big help ( website ).

By time and by practising more I am very sure that your phots will become better and better

All the best,

Thanks, Rico. I agree with your take and will work on it on my next trip.
Paul

Pincusb
81 point member
pincusb member image