Contest entries
Orange and orange
By Nonna Pokras
posted 07:34 CST Today (within the last hour)
Nudibranch
By Philippe Brunner
posted 06:24 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Squat Lobster on black crinoid. Not hiding for a change.
By James Deverich
posted 06:08 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Red face encounter
By Raoul Caprez
posted 06:07 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Kid s of Alor / Super friendly village came to greet the dive boat. Took this shot free diving with the local kids in Alor.
By James Deverich
posted 06:01 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Ample ...   Whale Shark   Rhincodon typus. Sail Rock  Thailand EM5 Panasonic 8mm iso200 f18 1/250
By Stefan Follows
posted 04:34 CST Today (3 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestCaleta Verde
Chile, Chilean Sea
dive sites latestTikehau lagoon
French Polynesia, Pacific
dive sites latestBlue Springs Quarry
United States
dive sites latestNature's valley
South Africa, Indian Ocean
dive sites latestFisherman's delig...
Belize, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestround rock west s...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestLighthouse Caves
Israel, Red Sea
dive sites latestTug 2, Exiles
Malta, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestRinas Hole
Dominica, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latesto.v wall with DNS...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Dario Romeo

Lemon Shark, Moorea 60mm
Lemon Shark, Moorea 60mm by Dario Romeo
VOTES: 13
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011- (11/24/2011 3:04:00 AM)
Category: Sharks
message this message is important Dear Dario,
Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest smile

You've requested a critique of your photo. How it works :
I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones ( if there are any ). My critique will be like 2-3 posts in total.

As we photo critics do this job as volunteers, a 'thank you' is always appreciated (no 'thanks' = no more critiques ).

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions. The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Rico Besserdich
19810 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

message  Photo Critique

First impression
60mm ?????????????????????????????????????

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 3, Colours: 2, Sparpness: 3, DOF ( depht of field ) : 3, Contrast : 2

Suggestions :
Your 60mm lens acts like a 90mm lens, considering your camera's crop factor. Well....not the ideal range for shark pics. Some details lost due to the distance.
Please check as well for white balance; colours are not correct.

Composition
close to the subject ( well, with 90mm.... ) and the frame filled. a bit "tight"

Suggestions :
That's a pretty close view. If you could be a little bit more to the left so that we have more space around the shark's nose, this pic would be better ;-) But however : because it is close, it's nice smile

Rico Besserdich
19810 point member

message  Subject
sharks, sharks, sharks !!!

Suggestions :
Good to see that have this great oppurtunity to dive with sharks. All the rest is ( for you ) to check for better camera settings and refer to a few basics of composition.

Check out the portfolio of Steven Anderson, his shark photos might be a great inspiration for you :
website

Epilogue
As a last word : my critique is not about to make your photos bad ( if YOU like them, it's all fine ), but since you've entered a uw photo contest, the objective should be to see you here as a winner one day.....I just try to give a small helping hand ;-)

All the best,

Rico

website

Rico Besserdich
19810 point member

rave!! 
thanks first for the suggestion ! I Cropped the image to close on the left part , I had more space !
can you suggest my a photoshop guide in internet where I can find something to correct the white balance and colours in NEF file ? please

In the new photo I putted the colours as default, less clarity ,1+black, 0,50+ exposition
Dario

Dily
362 point member
Dily member image

message Hi Dario,
well, to edit your NEF file ( which is a RAW file ) you in fact do not even need Photoshop - Any RAW converter will do it and I am quiet sure you already have one, delivered with your camera package ;-)

However, IF you already have Photoshop you can adjust white balance, colours, tone curves etc with the Adbe Camera RAW Converter.

A photoshop course for u/w photography is offered by this contest :
website

Please do not send more photo to this forum thread since this one is for the first reviewed photo only. You can apply for more critics when uploading new photos to this contest ;-)

Regards,

Rico

Rico Besserdich
19810 point member