Contest entries
Fingerprint Cyphoma  Cyphoma gibbosum  was Cyphoma signatum   Stevens Cay  U.S. Virgin Islands
By Pauline Walsh Jacobson
posted 18:02 CST Today (within the last hour)
Scorpionfish.
By Mehmet Salih Bilal
posted 12:41 CST Today (6 hours ago)
Nassau Garden/Photographed with a Canon G11 at Nassau  Bahamas
By Laurie Slawson
posted 12:30 CST Today (6 hours ago)
Reefscape in Fiji/Photographed with a Canon G11 at Wananavu  Fiji
By Laurie Slawson
posted 12:28 CST Today (6 hours ago)
Bigfin reef squid
By Julian Hsu
posted 02:54 CST Today (16 hours ago)
Weduweroos  sagartiogeton undatus
By Eduard Bello
posted 01:46 CST Today (17 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestSuva
Fiji, Pacific
dive sites latestpeanut island
United States, Atlantic (North American coastal)
dive sites latestMingo Cay
Virgin Islands U.S., Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestParede Quarteira ...
Portugal
dive sites latestMike's Dauin Resort
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestVanishing Rocks
Virgin Islands (British), Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSlpain
Myanmar (Burma), Bellinghausen Sea
dive sites latestGrass Cay
dive sites latestHawksnest Bay, St...
dive sites latestFrench Cap Island

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Doug Anderson

Seraya, Bali
Seraya, Bali by Doug Anderson
VOTES: 79
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012- (1/2/2012 3:47:00 PM)
Category: Macro - Super macro
Book a Dive Trip to Indonesia
message this message is importantAlthough this is a good shot, didn't think the judges of UWP would move critters on top of others like the dive guide in Indonesia and Philippines did to get better tips.

Always admired your work, but you should start another category liked the photoshop guys to preview these shots. Then I would post three of these big boys on top of a sea cucumber like all the other guys.

No disrespect, just trying to get the ground rules straight

Larry
10916 point member
Larry member image

message Larry, I understand your concerns, but before you point an accusing finger you need to get your marine science straight. This is NOT a manipulated shot in any sense. Anyone who has dived in the tropics in Asia will tell you it is very common to see emperor shrimps on top of nudibranchs - it is a natural phenomenon. The emperor shrimp perches on top of the nudibranch and uses the vantage point to forage in the sand below. It is also very common to see them perched on top of sea-cucumbers.

Rest assured that the judges in this competition are well aware of the conservation rules, and apply them without hesitation. This aspect of the competition judging is particularly important to persons, such as myself, who are working ecologists.

Have a nice day, Larry rose smile

Doug

Doug Anderson
14803 point member
Doug Anderson member image

message Great Shot Doug. I can vouch for this behavior, seen it numerous times in Indonesia + PI. I have also seen dive guides manipulate critters, ie moving nudibranchs to a pile etc. so I also understand Larry's concern, but I think it's pretty safe to say this behavior is quite natural and has happened to show up as a finalist in other UW photo comps recently. Hopefully this, or one of Doug's other Emperors will show up in the finals of this comp. Beautiful shot Doug. Happy New Years. smile

Tony Cherbas
15716 point member
Tony Cherbas member image

message Thanks Tony, HNY to you too! smile

Doug

Doug Anderson
14803 point member

message Larry, here are a couple of links that explain the relationship between the emperor shrimp and its various hosts:
website
website

Cheers,
Doug

Doug Anderson
14803 point member

message Doug,

Thanks for clearing this up, I dived Asia many times and have observed the shrimp on sea cucumbers, but usually only when the guide turns them over sine they seem to hang out on the bottom. Most of my observations are from eager guides trying to pose the critters for photographers.

Larry

Larry
10916 point member
Larry member image