Contest entries
Dugong  sea cow  sirenian  feeding on seagrass with juvenile pilot jacks
By Laura Dinraths
posted 04:28 CST Today (within the last hour)
Flatworm swimming in the blue like a ghost dancer
By Fuster Luc
posted 03:46 CST Today (1 hour ago)
...the happy face   
France   mediterranean sea
By Claudia Weber-Gebert
posted 03:13 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Two Faces
By Dennis Kasa
posted 02:36 CST Today (2 hours ago)
Anemone eggs
By Doris Vierkötter
posted Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Beautiful orange seahorse
By Lindsey Mobley
posted Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestCheese Burger Reef
Cayman islands
dive sites latestPunta Jaime - Por...
Spain, Balearic Sea
dive sites latestCaleta Verde
Chile, Chilean Sea
dive sites latestTikehau lagoon
French Polynesia, Pacific
dive sites latestBlue Springs Quarry
United States
dive sites latestNature's valley
South Africa, Indian Ocean
dive sites latestFisherman's delig...
Belize, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestround rock west s...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestLighthouse Caves
Israel, Red Sea
dive sites latestTug 2, Exiles
Malta, Mediterranean Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Julie Lorenzen

My first time diving with the Great White Sharks. The ca...
My first time diving with the Great White Sharks.  The ca... by Julie Lorenzen
VOTES: 14
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011- (12/31/2011 11:44:00 AM)
Category: Wide Angle - Marine Life
message this message is important
Thanks for your latest submission to the UWP contest smile

You've requested a critique of your photo. How it works :
I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones ( if there are any ). My critique will be like 2-3 posts in total, please wait with any answers until you see the note 'photo critic completed' - thanks smile

As we photo critics do this job as volunteers, a 'thank you' is always appreciated (no 'thanks' = no more critiques ).

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions. The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Tn Diver
19052 point member
TN Diver member image

message Well Julie - I like this image! Sharks are pretty much my favorite subject. This is a big shark and lucky you were to experience this animal in the wild. Normally the first category to critique is color ...cant with this one but I will say the B/W image does make for a bold statement. I rate that on a 4 out of 6, which is good!

Sharpness is the next category to critique and I give it a rating of 4 out of 6. Reasons are the eyes of the shark are clear and sharp but his grin is a bit blurred.
As you know closer which might not be possible with this animal and more light would clear this up.
DOF is good and I like the position of the shark in the image and I rate it a 5. You have done well with the composition.

A photo program may help to enhance the contrast and sharpness. I would be interested in seeing this image in color. The sharpness is the only issue I really see.Please keep submitting your images as we all like to see them! Good Luck and Save the Sharks! TNDIVER

Tn Diver
19052 point member
TN Diver member image

message Thank you for taking the time to email me. I am a new to underwater photography, and have not taken any classes. So I am self taught. Any critiques, will be welcomed.

Cheers,

Julie Lorenzen
grin

Julie Lorenzen
41 point member
julie lorenzen member image

message My pleasure Julie! There are some good books out about u/w photography using cameras other than DSLRs. My friend Maria Munn has a great book out which might interest you. I think its on Amazon. Good reading and her tips are helpful.
Your image is good and as I said before luv sharks! I run a trip twice a year to the Bahamas for U/W photographers and divers....best and close opportunities for images. Many folks participate without dslr gear so .....keep on shooting!

Tn Diver
19052 point member
TN Diver member image

message Wow, thank you for your input on my photo. I agree, I wish her teeth were a bit more clear. I had my arms outside the cage until she got as close as I felt safe. I do know the saying, "if you think your close enough, get a bit closer" Can you recommend a photo program for me for when I edit my photos. The reason why I converted her to black and white, is that the water was so blue, that she was drowned out.

Thank you again for taking the time to look at my photo.

Cheers,

Julie roll eyes

Julie Lorenzen
41 point member

message I will, and thank you again.

Julie Lorenzen
41 point member

message Julie that's what we are here for to learn from each other. I personally use
Lightroom 3 for quick fix stuff like sharpness and white balance and then I edit in Adobe CS5. If you are on a Mac - Iphoto does pretty well - cant really white balance. Are you able to shoot in RAW with your camera? That is always the best and contains more info than we can think of for editing purposes.Best Buy or Fryes if you are the West Coast has many good programs. You can always email me with questions as well steven@stevenandersonphotography.com. Thanks ! TN DIVER

Tn Diver
19052 point member
TN Diver member image