Contest entries
sea horse
By Masa Biru
posted 16:31 CST Today (within the last hour)
good
By Masa Biru
posted 16:28 CST Today (within the last hour)
crab
By Masa Biru
posted 16:26 CST Today (within the last hour)
good
By Masa Biru
posted 16:24 CST Today (within the last hour)
jelly fish house
By Masa Biru
posted 16:22 CST Today (within the last hour)
2 finish at home in a jelly fish
By Masa Biru
posted 16:16 CST Today (within the last hour)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestMingo Cay
Virgin Islands U.S., Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestParede Quarteira ...
Portugal
dive sites latestMike's Dauin Resort
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestVanishing Rocks
Virgin Islands (British), Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSlpain
Myanmar (Burma), Bellinghausen Sea
dive sites latestGrass Cay
dive sites latestHawksnest Bay, St...
dive sites latestFrench Cap Island
dive sites latestDog Rocks
dive sites latestFrench Cap

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Brice Bastier

a curious lion fish coming straight at me
a curious lion fish coming straight at me by Brice Bastier
VOTES: 18
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012- (1/26/2012 2:28:00 AM)
Category: Wide Angle - Close Focus
Book a Dive Trip to Australia
message this message is important Dear Brice,
You have requested a review of your photo. It’s my turn to write you critical comments to help you to improve your work with an analytic review. As you know, the objective is to see you here on UWP as a winner one day !
If you want to answer me, please wait until my review has been completed; as photo critics, we do this job as volunteers; a "thank you" is always appreciated smile
For the basics (in case of), an uw photography online course is available here at UWP and it's always a good idea to sign up for that one.

As you already know the foreword, I will directly start my review :

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique :

First impression :
Nice subject who deserved another background

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 4, Colours: 4, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 4, Contrast : 4

Suggested Solution :
Technically, it’s a quite good job with your camera.
Why not, next time, using a higher shutter speed and/or smaller aperture (larger f-number) to darken the background (that is not important in this case). That could help to focus even more the view of the spectator on your subject.
Then, the real place for improvement has to be found in the composition and in the approach.
To add something, if you decide to play regularly in the contest, I suggest you to sign in for a pro account, it’s better for your pictures quality (size).

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Composition :
A centred subject with a disturbing background

Suggested Solution :
In general, to emphasise a subject with a simple composition, it's good to have a neutral background (black, blue, white, …). You can do it with the settings (as I suggested you), or you can do it with the approach (and with patience in that case).
Then, don’t put your subject in the middle of the frame; that is important to break the symmetry. But if your idea was to have a circle in the middle of a rectangle (the frame) that could work if you work on a real face to face with the impressive fins opened.
You can also work on something different, a special position of the fish, the sun behind, … in fact, whatever you want to give the best impact to your picture smile

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Subject
A common subject but a so perfect subject for the photographer : it’s not going to swim away quickly, it moves slowly, it has nice colours, … well everything we need (we have plenty of time to try different settings for our shots :-))

Suggested Solution :
For the approach, it's often good to have the animal really looking at you ("coming straight at you" as you write), so we can catch the “look” what we search at first when we look at an animal. But the position you catch is nice even if you catch only one eye.
In fact, keep in mind that it’s always important in a contest to try something different to draw attention to yourself.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Epilogue
For sure, with some adjustment in the composition or the approach, you would have had more votes ! But you’re on the good way smile
I’m now looking forward to see your next post.
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message thanks a lot i'll keep working on that then!!! it a hard one to just get something just different to get on it cheers

Brycelaglace
201 point member
Brycelaglace member image

message You're welcome Brice !
It's a pleasure if it helps you ...

All the best

Raoul

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member