Contest entries
Manta rays  passing in surface.
By Oksana Maksymova
posted 23:17 CST Today (within the last hour)
Purple nudi
By Caner Candemir
posted 11:20 CST Today (12 hours ago)
bumble bee shrimp
By Lars Oliver Michaelis
posted 11:05 CST Today (12 hours ago)
Run
By Sergiy Glushchenko
posted 09:57 CST Today (14 hours ago)
Whip Coral Shrimp/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens and SMC 1 at Anilao  Philippines
By Laurie Slawson
posted 09:39 CST Today (14 hours ago)
Juvenile Harlequin Sweetlips/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens at slow shutter speed to capture motion at Anilao  Philippines
By Laurie Slawson
posted 09:38 CST Today (14 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestCarval Rock
Virgin Islands U.S., Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestVinkeveense plassen
Netherlands, Landlocked Seas/Lakes
dive sites latestSteinbruch Ammels...
Germany, Landlocked Seas/Lakes
dive sites latestLake Torre Fumo
Italy, Thracian Sea
dive sites latestSpiaggia di Miseno
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea
dive sites latestAzmak River
Turkey
dive sites latestLa Restinga
Spain, Atlantic (African coastal)
dive sites latestanikao
Philippines, South China Sea
dive sites latestMelasti Bali
Indonesia, Bali Sea
dive sites latestanilai
Philippines, South China Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Luke Popwell

A visual representation of a Snell's Window. Also, a dive...
A visual representation of a Snell's Window. Also, a dive... by Luke Popwell
VOTES: 37
VOTE!

message this message is important Dear Luke,
Thanks for your submission to the contest and welcome to UWP.
You have requested a review of your photo. Let me shortly explain how it works :
As we do have a limited space for each post here, please note that my review will be like 2-3 posts in total. If you want to answer me, please wait until my review has been completed; as photo critics, we do this job as volunteers; a "thank you" is always appreciated smile
My review is structured into chapters and I will list problem zones (if there are any) and I will suggest solutions on how to improve results.
Important : The "photo critic" feature here at UWP is not a putdown of uw photos. The objective is to see you here as a winner one day !
For the basics (in case of), an uw photography online course is available here at UWP and it's always a good idea to sign up for that one.

And here we go ! (Photo review starts with next post) :

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique :

First impression :
Interesting scenery ("a diver framed by a bubble") … who deserved to be more shown !

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 4, Colours: 3, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 5, Contrast : 5

Suggested Solution :
The picture is technically correct... I mean that it's always a kind of "balance work" when we take a picture against the sun … so in that case the shutter speed and the aperture you've chosen work..
To add more impact to your picture it's for me more a question of composition.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Composition :
Small centred subject.

Suggested Solution :
I suggest you to fill more the frame with the bubble to better show the diver and the bubble. For me there's a bit too much dark on the left…. Being closer to the bubble would help also for that.
You can also work with a vertical frame : a bubble always go straightly up to the surface, so a vertical frame (with the bubble up it) could boost its natural move.

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Subject
A diver framed by a bubble is a nice subject !
When the bubble is made by the photographer itself it's a nice challenge ! Well done.

Suggested Solution :
If you ask somebody else to do the bubble, it will be easier for you to take exactly the picture you want. But all in all you both have to breath "carefuly" then :-).
You can also ask your model to open his arms and legs to have a kind of star in the middle of the bubble… In that picture, the model doesn’t seem to be "ready".
Because there are already some pictures like this in the contest, it’s even more important to have an unusual approach to have a "new" picture which could give you more votes …
but your pic is already shortlisted, so what can I add :-).

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member

message  Epilogue
Welcome again to UWP and congratulations for your shortlisted pic !
I like to say that pictures must tell something, they should pass on a message or transmit an emotion. For sure this picture provokes a nice reaction to the spectator !
Keep on the good work.
I’m looking forward to see your next post.
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

P.-S. : I suggest you not to add the UWP copyright in that case because you’ve signed already your picture

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
23041 point member