Entries to the annual contest close 31st December 2017

17 days to go

Contest entries
Grand Cayman   The ex USS Kittiwake appears as if from a ghostly fog.  I also call this  Kittiwake In High Key .
By Susannah H. Snowden-Smith
posted 00:28 CST Today (within the last hour)
weedy looking at me
By Dave Baxter
posted Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Claire using the line
By Dave Baxter
This images of a French angelfish was captured on molasses reef in Key Largo Florida The French angelfish inhabits shallow reefs around fan corals eating on sponge and algae.
By Caleb Calloway
The Blue circle.
By Filip Staes
Tomato Anemonefish  Amphiprion frenatus
By Filip Staes

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestEs banc, Formentera
Spain, Balearic Sea
dive sites latestBitung
Indonesia, Molucca Sea
dive sites latestOil Platform
United Kingdom, North Sea
dive sites latestsouth coast england
United Kingdom
dive sites latestistanbul , Burgaz...
Turkey, Sea of Marmara
dive sites latestRuble Tower
Qatar, Persian/Arabian Gulf
dive sites latestKoh dock may
Thailand, Andaman Sea
dive sites latestacqua dive house ...
Philippines, Visayan Sea
dive sites latestShark point
Thailand, Andaman Sea
dive sites latestKho Phi Phi
Thailand, Andaman Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Francesco Pacienza

To the light
[:b:]To the light[:/b:] by Francesco Pacienza
VOTES: 21
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014- (9/24/2014 7:26:00 AM)
Category: Wide Angle - Close Focus
Book a Dive Trip to Italy
Question this message is importantI have a hard time imagining how you would get an image like this without scaring the poor creature out of its wits to get it above the camera. confused

Jd
4694 point member
JD member image

message There are many pictures in the contest with the subject in a non natural position, and worst of all many of them shortlisted.

Oscar Miralpeix
5320 point member
Oscar Miralpeix member image

message Dear friends (Miralpeix and JD, the behavior of many animals is not as we imagine. Seahorses have swimming ability and do not live always attached to some other body or on the seabed.
I think that every time we go underwater disturb the inhabitants, and even more so when we use our torches, more powerful, and our flash maybe a few inches from their eyes.
Without controversy.

Fpacienza
9902 point member
fpacienza member image

message jajaja, yes I agree. Maybe WE must stop to take pictures with flash. OR ... just take 2 or 3 pics at the same subject and never shot a fish during a night dive.
You are a lucky man, I know that seahorse can swim, but here in spain I never saw a seahorse swimming far away from rocks or algae.
However congrats for your picture, but if this behaviour is so frequent in Italy maybe next time you can try to shot with the seahorse looking at you.
Regards

Oscar Miralpeix
5320 point member

message Miralpeix your humor is out of place. I have often seen behaviors of animals that many scholars consider unnatural. You are free to think whatever you want, but because you do not know if that horse was close or far away from any structure to which it clings. Preach without knowing where and how it is made.
Regards.

Fpacienza
9902 point member
fpacienza member image

message Rectification:
I saw one picture from you with the seahorse face to you.
Congrats!

Oscar Miralpeix
5320 point member

message Dear Mirailpex, you're referring to my yellow friend? That is a model that strikes a pose, just for a few shots as soon as I see underwater. Every now and then offer him a cold beer and spend a bit of time to tell us things.
If Judge and trust members of this site have decided to put it in the shortlist means that all the negative elements which you has seen, they do not have them considered as such, but merely to evaluate the photo in its essence.
Regards

Fpacienza
9902 point member
fpacienza member image

message Keep arguing.

there are 2 posted entries withing the last few hours where the animal are manipulated.
the little cuttle fidsh and the stingray...check it out.

You moaners and groanrers are the reason why this web site is in such decline.

few of of the "regular photographers" even bother.

roll eyes

Batfish
2170 point member
Batfish member image

message side note...please do not say i am wrong...everyone has manipulated a creature one way or another to get a clean shot....stop crying.

Batfish
2170 point member
Batfish member image

message Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest. It is a special image. I was really curious if the sea horse was chased into the blue or this was just dumb luck. If the answer is dumb luck I might even vote for it.

As for people leaving the site because people complain seems doubtful. More conversation negative or positive is always a good sign. Not many people really discuss or offer criticism or compliment. That is more a death knell for a site. There are still some amazing images here. Controversial and otherwise.

Jd
4694 point member
JD member image

message Yes...you put it very well.
I have been following this site for many years and put plenty of images on, albiet, none ever award winners.
I have notice a HUGE reduction in the number of images posted and the number of photographers who contributed were like a "whos who" in underwater photography.
This site is not the same for whatever reason but the shots that are being posted are fabulous.

Batfish
2170 point member
Batfish member image

message Dear Francesco,
lately we have seen very often the pictures where seahorses are "flying" in the water mass. And all knowledgeable and experienced divers know that it's not typical behavior for seahorses. Of course they can swim, but their usual position is to be attached to algae or to something on the bottom. I understand that you could take this picture without manipulation with the seahorse. But if I were you (as underwater photographer), I would not download such a picture to anywhere. Because many people could think, that this picture was taken manipulating the subject. And as a judge I will never consider such a picture and will put it aside for the above-mentioned reasons.
With my personal respect to you,
Iyad

Iyad68
16406 point member
iyad68 member image

message Dear Iyad, I respect your point of view and your opinion. There are places where it is easier to find horses that swim to move from one point to another without having to throw up. As in all things there are two sides to a coin, if one wants to see only the one he is used is free to do so, but can not deny that there is also another side other than that. The world of the living marine eseri is a new world of which we know very little, and what little I know sdi know it, until a few years ago, only to observations in the laboratory or aquariums. In Nature everything changes and evolves, nothing stays still.
With my personal respect to you.
Francesco

Fpacienza
9902 point member
fpacienza member image

message Dear JD, I have not manipulated the horse, it was close to another subject that I was photographing and started to swim to move to a different support. Free to believe or not.
Regards.
Francesco

Fpacienza
9902 point member
fpacienza member image

message Congrats then!

Jd
4694 point member
JD member image