Contest entries
Nudi from Bodrum/Turkey
By Taner Atilgan
posted 04:02 CST Today (within the last hour)
Face to face again
By Rostislav Štefánek
posted 03:43 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Bleniidea
By Yildirim Gencoglu
posted 03:37 CST Today (1 hour ago)
 Tarpon Undercarriage   Photographed at Macabuca/Turtle Farm on Grand Cayman. I hovered in front and below the  Tarpon Cave  where they hang out during the day. Lying close to the sandy bottom I shot up against the blue and coral.
By Susannah H. Snowden
posted Tuesday, September 30, 2014
I was at work mapping a dive site and spotted this tiny Juvenile Parrotfish in a barrel sponge.       
Olympus OMD EM5  12 50mm lens  f16  1/250  ISO 200
Nauticam housing  Single Sea   Sea YS D1 strobe
By Henley Spiers
Just for the Frills ... Nudibranch   Glossodoris atromarginata. Ang Thong  Gulf of Thailand  EM5 Oly 60mm 1/250 f22 iso100 Inon D2000
By Stefan Follows

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestBrac, Uvala Osibova
Croatia, Adriatic Sea
dive sites latestCala Portinatx
Spain, Balearic Sea
dive sites latestDhahab
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestChannel between P...
Portugal, Atlantic
dive sites latestWreck if Togo
France, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestCave Lucice, Brac
Croatia, Adriatic Sea
dive sites latestWreck of the subm...
dive sites latestUSS Schurz
United States, Atlantic (North American coastal)
dive sites latestDahab's canyon
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestLa Gabinière

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Max Lin

Ribbon moray / Nikon D7000+150mm
Ribbon moray / Nikon D7000+150mm by Max Lin
VOTES: 29
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011- (11/20/2011 9:32:00 AM)
Category: Macro - Close-Up
message excelent foto Stick out your tongue

Johnny
1000 point member
JOHNNY member image

message Photo Critique by Raoul

Dear Max,
Thank for your submission to the contest and welcome to UWP.
You have requested a review of your photo. Let me shortly explain how it works :
As we do have a limited space for each post here, please note that my review will be like 3-4 posts in total. If you want to answer me, please wait until my review has been completed; as photo critics, we do this job as volunteers; a "thank you" is always appreciated smile
My review is structured into chapters and I will list problem zones (if there are any) and I will suggest solutions on how to improve results.
Important : The "photo critic" feature here at UWP is not a putdown of uw photos. The objective is to see you here as a winner one day !
For the basics (in case of), an uw photography online course is available here at UWP and it's always a good idea to sign up for that one.

And here we go ! (Photo review starts with next post) :

Raoul Caprez
19124 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique :

First impression :
Nice subject with a great potential

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 4, Colours: 5, Sharpness: 5, DOF ( depth of field ) : 5, Contrast : 5

Suggested Solution :
Nothing really to add in that point, you've done a good work ! … ok, you can maybe improve a bit the lighting on the head, but the improvement is basically in the composition/approach … as often smile

Composition :
You are close to your subject and you use a vertical frame : good with this subject and in that case.
You're between a profile and a real face to face … why not smile
The angle of shooting is not optimum and we do not need to see the background in such compositions.

Raoul Caprez
19124 point member

message  Suggested Solution :
For this subject, a real face to face is always a good idea to try. The key for the face-on composition is to get the subject directly facing you, with a great eye contact. Then, and that's the real point of improvement, you should get on the same level or slightly lower than the subject. The eyes should be in sharp focus (like you've done). For the face to face, filling most, but not all of the frame with the subject like you've done is good.

With the angle of shooting you've used, it's difficult to have a neutral background. Being minimum at the same level than the subject helps to have an uniform blue background. You can also isolate your subject in front of a black background (high speed and reduced aperture)

Raoul Caprez
19124 point member

message  Subject
This kind of moray is a great subject for the photographer : nice colours, we can approach them easily and we often have time to take more than one picture smile
But it’s not so easy to do something new with this subject because there are a lot of amazing pictures of them in UWP.

Suggested Solution :
You've chosen a perfect subject. Your approach is good even if the angle of shooting is not optimum.
Be careful the left appendicle on the mouth is a bit too close of the left eye and can give the impression to hide it a bit.
For your next shot, be patient, stay at the good height, try to be as close as possible, let the moray facing you (it always does it at one moment in its move), wait for the right moment and be ready to shoot ! smile … but you did already a good job !

Raoul Caprez
19124 point member

message  Epilogue
Welcome on UWP !!!
Your picture is nice. Now, to win a contest, technical aspect, composition and the subject of course must be great. For sure, your subject is good, the technical aspect is correct, the rest – like often – is a question of composition and originality. But you’re on the good way !
Now, when you take pictures, it’s good to think (if you don't do it already) that your pictures must tell something or pass on a message or transmit an emotion. With also that idea, for sure you will have good results.
Keep on the good work. I’m now looking forward to see your next post.
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

Raoul Caprez
19124 point member

Answer Je suis tout à fait d'accord sur la puissance de cette photo ! Même les poissons se mettent en colère !Mais que représente la "tache floue " devant l'oeil ?
Géraldine G.

Géraldine Gogly
953 point member
member image