Contest entries
Black   White Photo Challenge  5

Ample II. Not sure which I prefer  this or the colour version  What do you think  Whale Shark   Rhincodon typus. Sail Rock  Thailand EM5 Panasonic 8mm iso200 f18 1/250 SilverEfex
By Stefan Follows
posted 01:08 CST Today (within the last hour)
Prehistoric Tail   Emma  the well known TigerShark from a different angle
By Ken Kiefer
posted Friday, October 31, 2014
During a wall dive off the island of Rostan  we found this staring at us. I found this image suitable for the 31st of October  Happy Halloween
By Steven Anderson
Turned and saw this  had to shot fast.
By Robert Fleckenstein
It s a simple still image taken from some video I was shooting in a private lagoon on Bora Bora.  In this instance I was using a GoPro Hero3 video camera to film some fish and coral in the area.
By Patrick Dierson
 Taking Over 
Silversides might be one of the coolest things to just sit back and watch. Their movement in unison is just simply spectacular.
By Chase Darnell

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestWreck of TOGO
France, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestNorth Point
Malaysia, Celebes Sea
dive sites latestMangel Halto wreck
Aruba, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSubic Bay Philipp...
Philippines
dive sites latestLac Bleu
France
dive sites latestThe University
Israel, Red Sea
dive sites latestLazzaretto
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea
dive sites latestSiargao
Philippines
dive sites latestRazanj
Croatia, Adriatic Sea
dive sites latestSunset
Cayman islands

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Anna Bilyk

United family of anemonefishes
United family of anemonefishes by Anna Bilyk
VOTES: 8
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012- (3/11/2012 1:43:00 AM)
Category: Macro - swimming
message  Dear Anna,

Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest smile

You've requested a critique of your photo.

How it works:

I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones (if there are any ).

My critique will be like 3-4 posts in total, please wait with any answers until
you see the note "photo critic completed" - thanks smile

As we photo critics do this job as volunteers and as this service ist free of charge, at least a feedback on how this critique was useful to you is always appreciated.

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions.

The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message  Photo Critique

First impression

Three in a corner!

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )

Exposure : 4, Colours: 4, Sharpness: 5, DOF ( depth of field ) : 4, Contrast : 4

Suggestions :

You've started with uw-photography this year. My respect for the technical skills you show!

You have a nice exposure and the colors came out fine. Nevertheless we see a (small) yellow color cast.

Sharpnes is fine. You can get some more out of your pictures with playing the DOF (more open aperture).

There's another point to improve: The background. It was not all black in your Raw file and you darkend it. That's ok but you have to pay attention to the structures. They getting attacked from it's borders and become an unnatural look. A more carful darkening avoids this.

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message  Composition :

nice diagonal design smile
all subjects in one corner frown

Suggestions :

Place the subjects within the rule of thirds. It's great to have three anemone fishes in one picture. but they are a bit crowdy placed. It's a pitte thet the front player is swimming in the wrong direction.
The shooting angle upwards is fine but could be more frontal. Except if you had gotten them in a real symmetric order.

Subject :

Anemonefish are loved by many spectators. Therefore there are millions of pictures around. You need real cracker to succeed.

Suggestions :

Take your time with these subjects. They are moving fast and and most of the pictures fail because of suboptimal placing of the fishes.

Epilogue :

That's a real good start Anna! Excercise a lot and take your time with the subjects. I'm sure that we soon see some real eyecatchers from you smile

All the best,

Henry
ht...

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message Dear Henry,
thank you very much for your kind advices and tips! I'll try to use you recommendations by the next dive!

Thanks again for your time, it was really useful information for me!
Anna

Iyad68
13142 point member
iyad68 member image

message You're welcome, Anna!

eehh... sorry: Iyad of course! ....or Anna?
Iyad? Anna? I'm a bit confused confused Who's who?

Who shot which pictures? Can you clarify my mind?

Cheers
Henry

Henry
8039 point member
Henry member image

message Dear Henry, sorry!!!
It is Anna and it's my picture. Iyad is my husband and by mistake I wrote the answer to your post from his logged in account, just I forgot to log out and than log in to my account!!! :-(
All the information whose pictures is correct on the site! Don't worry about it! smile

Sorry again for this confusion!
And thank you for your comments to my picture!

Anna

Anna
3763 point member
anna member image