Contest entries
Turtle in B W
By Iyad Suleyman
posted 09:09 CST Today (within the last hour)
Clown
By Taner Atilgan
posted 05:45 CST Today (4 hours ago)
B W school
By Raoul Caprez
posted 03:15 CST Today (6 hours ago)
Ample II. Not sure which I prefer  this or the colour version  What do you think  Whale Shark   Rhincodon typus. Sail Rock  Thailand EM5 Panasonic 8mm iso200 f18 1/250 SilverEfex
By Stefan Follows
posted 01:08 CST Today (8 hours ago)
Prehistoric Tail   Emma  the well known TigerShark from a different angle
By Ken Kiefer
posted Friday, October 31, 2014
During a wall dive off the island of Rostan  we found this staring at us. I found this image suitable for the 31st of October  Happy Halloween
By Steven Anderson
posted Friday, October 31, 2014

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestWreck of TOGO
France, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestNorth Point
Malaysia, Celebes Sea
dive sites latestMangel Halto wreck
Aruba, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestSubic Bay Philipp...
Philippines
dive sites latestLac Bleu
France
dive sites latestThe University
Israel, Red Sea
dive sites latestLazzaretto
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea
dive sites latestSiargao
Philippines
dive sites latestRazanj
Croatia, Adriatic Sea
dive sites latestSunset
Cayman islands

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Bob Bernardo

5'9" Norwegian Yellow Fish
5'9" Norwegian Yellow Fish by Bob Bernardo
VOTES: 10
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012- (3/10/2012 4:34:00 PM)
Category: Humorous
message  Dear Bob,
Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest smile

Please excuse my late reply...I was very busy with lots of photography projects...

You've requested a critique of your photo. How it works :
I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones ( if there are any ). My critique will be like 2-3 posts in total, please wait with any answers until you see the note 'photo critic completed' - thanks smile

As we photo critics do this job as volunteers, a 'thank you' is always appreciated (no 'thanks' = no more critiques ).

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions. The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Rico Besserdich
19813 point member
Rico Besserdich member image

message  Photo Critique

First impression
".....the hard school of pool shootings....."

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 3, Colours: 3, Sparpness: 2, DOF ( depht of field ) : 2, Contrast : 2

Suggestions :
The "correct" white balance is not always what looks best. I think, your camera settings were ok so far but the result of postproduction did not improved the photo. Beware of washed out colours & missing contrasts.

Composition
Generally ok, but missing the "wow" effect.

Suggestions :
In pool shooings every small detail counts !! Element reflection on surface, face expression of the model, assessoires, coours & light : it all needs to come to consideration...BEFORE the shooting. As people do look very (!) critic to pool shots, we need to work on details. Check out the work of photographer Cal Mero to see what I mean ;-)

Rico Besserdich
19813 point member

message  Subject
Lights, colours, motion...and a pretty lady : I of course see your attemp ;-)

Suggestions :
As said before : pool shootings do live from proper preparation, briefing and communication with the model. Easy to dive in a pool...and there is way more time than in a "normal" dive in the sea. So : Use the time. I think, you could gain a lot of input with just viewing popular uw pool shots such as made by Cal Mero, Zena Holloway etc. ( and yes . you could check my pool shots as well...here in my portfilio at the contest ).

Epilogue
Welcome to the contest. I already saw that your recent submissions ( after this one ) already were done much much better !!!

All the best,

Rico

website

---- PHOTO CRITIQUE COMPLETED --------

Rico Besserdich
19813 point member

message Rico,
Thanks so much for your input!
I'm still learning to shoot underwater and I plan on looking at Cal Mero's pics. Just bought a book by Howard Schatz last night on Amazon and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.
-Bob

Bob Bernardo
157 point member
Bob Bernardo member image

message You are welcome, Bob !! I am sure, you'll make your way to great shots, very soon smile

Rico Besserdich
19813 point member