Contest entries
Christmas tree
By Lindsey Mobley
posted 21:55 CST Today (2 hours ago)
Ai Futaki and Table Coral

Guinness World Records for  The Longest Distance swam in cave with one breath  with fins for 100m as first woman in the world  and without fins for 90m as first HUMAN in the 

world.
By Marco Fierli
posted 20:56 CST Today (3 hours ago)
As the sun sets the action gets better      Tiger Beach   Bahamas
By Steven Anderson
posted 20:01 CST Today (3 hours ago)
Emma up close and personal at Tiger Beach   Bahamas
By Steven Anderson
posted 19:30 CST Today (4 hours ago)
A little kiss
This anemone was taken in patagonia fjords. Marine ambient created with the last glaciation.
Nikon d7000
60 mm macro
two inon strobes
By Thomas Heran
posted 19:23 CST Today (4 hours ago)
Coral
Chilean Fjord  A ihue Reserve
By Felipe Gonzalez
posted 18:18 CST Today (5 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestCaleta Verde
Chile, Chilean Sea
dive sites latestTikehau lagoon
French Polynesia, Pacific
dive sites latestBlue Springs Quarry
United States
dive sites latestNature's valley
South Africa, Indian Ocean
dive sites latestFisherman's delig...
Belize, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestround rock west s...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestLighthouse Caves
Israel, Red Sea
dive sites latestTug 2, Exiles
Malta, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestRinas Hole
Dominica, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latesto.v wall with DNS...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Elaine White

Tassled Wobbegong Shark in Raja Ampat....Background black...
Tassled Wobbegong Shark in Raja Ampat....Background black... by Elaine White
VOTES: 12
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012- (4/17/2012 6:38:00 AM)
Category: Creative - Manipulated (Photoshopped)
message  Dear Elaine,
You have requested a review of your photo. It’s my turn to write you critical comments to help you to improve your work with an analytic review. As you know, the objective is to see you here on UWP as a winner one day !
If you want to answer me, please wait until my review has been completed; as photo critics, we do this job as volunteers; a "thank you" is always appreciated smile

As you already know the foreword, I will directly start my review :

Raoul Caprez
19304 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique :

First impression :
1) Understandable for the people who know the subject
2) Impossible move created

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 3, Colours: 4, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 4, Contrast : 5

Suggested Solution :
Your picture looks quite good. Of course, exposure could be improved a bit. This animal is not so easy to light correctly. In that case, there’s for me a too big difference of exposure between the back and the right side (in the down left hand corner) of the subject. You can change a bit your settings and your strobe position.
For the rest, it’s a PS work.

Raoul Caprez
19304 point member

message  Composition :
You are close to your subject and it is not centred : good
Your subject is a bit too close of the left border of the frame

Suggested Solution :
In general, to emphasise a subject with a simple composition, it's good to have a neutral background; having one with Photoshop is a solution, but we can do it with the settings. Of course in that case (playing with the settings) it’s impossible to light perfectly the shark without showing the substrate under it…. so, you’ve done a choice.
For the biologist I am it’s a very surprising choice : it gives an impossible result : the shark looks like swimming like a mammal (talking about the move of the all body). I guess that if you don’t have much votes it’s because people don’t understand your choice.
Also, for this kind of composition, be careful not to cut a part of your subject (even if it's a small one).

Raoul Caprez
19304 point member

message  Subject
Nice subject and not so common ! We usually can approach it for surprising pictures.
This animal requires maybe another approach for a winner picture because in that case, for people who don’t know it, it’s quite difficult to know what it is … it’s also difficult to catch the look and that is what we look for at first.

Suggested Solution :
Your distance from your subject is good. Maybe a slightly downward angle of shooting (for once :-)), facing the animal and using the rest of the body till the tail for the perspective could be an idea to try…. But it changes your idea.

Raoul Caprez
19304 point member

message  Epilogue
I like to say that pictures must tell something, they should pass on a message or transmit an emotion. I do feel an impossible move what surprises me … for sure it provokes a reaction to the spectator ! But with a more natural picture you certainly would have had more votes :-).
Looking at your other pictures I think you do a good start in the contest ! Welcome !
Well, I’m now looking forward to see your next post.
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
19304 point member

message Hi Raoul
Thank you for taking the time to critique my photograph and for giving some positive and encouraging advise, It was an image I wasn't quite sure of myself, but I thought Iwould try it anyway.
Once again, thank you
Elaine smile

Elaine White
2504 point member
Elaine White member image

message You're welcome Elaine !
Best regards.
Raoul

Raoul Caprez
19304 point member