To restore the collections file
- Close Windows Movie Maker.
- In My Computer or Windows Explorer, locate the folder that contains the backup copy of the collections file Mediatab.dat.
- Select the Mediatab.dat file.
- On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- Open the following folder:
\Documents and Settings\UserAccountName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker
- On the Edit menu, click Paste.
The collections in Windows Movie Maker appears as they did originally when the collections file was backed up, provided the source files still remain in their original locations and have the same names as when each file was originally imported.