Contest entries
Brittle Star on Fire Coral  Stevens Cay  U.S. Virgin Islands
By Pauline Walsh Jacobson
posted 13:38 CST Today (within the last hour)
Dive Boat at Sunset  Bonaire
By Pauline Walsh Jacobson
posted 13:30 CST Today (within the last hour)
MEDUSA
By Marko Perisic
posted 13:28 CST Today (within the last hour)
good night hammerhead
By Vladimir Chubenko
posted 13:07 CST Today (within the last hour)
Day Octopus/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens at Anilao  Philippines
By Laurie Slawson
posted 12:47 CST Today (1 hour ago)
Arrowhead Crab/Photographed with a Canon 60 mm macro lens at Anilao  Philippines
By Laurie Slawson
posted 12:45 CST Today (1 hour ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestBlue Pool
Australia
dive sites latestLas Galletas, Ten...
Spain, Atlantic (African coastal)
dive sites latestCarval Rock
Virgin Islands U.S., Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestVinkeveense plassen
Netherlands, Landlocked Seas/Lakes
dive sites latestSteinbruch Ammels...
Germany, Landlocked Seas/Lakes
dive sites latestLake Torre Fumo
Italy, Thracian Sea
dive sites latestSpiaggia di Miseno
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea
dive sites latestAzmak River
Turkey
dive sites latestLa Restinga
Spain, Atlantic (African coastal)
dive sites latestanikao
Philippines, South China Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Andrew Kubica

stingrays are dangerous? Tell that to Earl
stingrays are dangerous? Tell that to Earl by Andrew Kubica
VOTES: 5
VOTE!

message this message is importantIdiot, everywhere we try and create an understanding of and for nature and the conservation of our natural resources and what do they do in places like the Bahamas, take tourist by the container load to swim with Dolphins and rays. You may not realize this but the Dolphins taht are used for tourist atractions ussually die within one year.
Kissing the tail of a ray does not teach respect for animals and nature.

Sadly most people do not care about conservation but care only the short term fullfillment of their own personal needs, which means there will always be people who will pay someone else to do stuff like depicted in this picture.

Caver
160 point member
Caver member image

message PS. By Idiot I did not mean you but the guy in the picture!

Caver
160 point member
Caver member image

message sorry my friend you are way off on this one. Licking the barb of a stingray does not do any damage at all and the stingrays in the Caymans live long and healthy lives because they are not caged in any way. The stingrays come voluntarily and we never try to hold one that doesn't want to be held. Most stingrays love to be held and they really like human contact. Trust me I wouldn't be a part of anything that did harm to those beautiful creatures. We lick the barb to show tourist that it really is safe to be around them. After Steve Irwin was killed people were very reluctant to come to stingray city, in fact bussiness was down 66 from the previous year. So my friend get your facts straight before you start accusing people. I say good day!!!!

Andrew Kubica
180 point member
Andrew Kubica member image

message Similar behaviour can be observed in other animals like Sharks, Deer, Ducks, Rats and so on. The only reason these animals return and therefore get used to Human contact is usually because they are being fed. This disturbs natural behavioural patterns and can therefore be hazardous to the population at hand and with this endangers the wider eco system. I cannot judge if this is an issue with 'your' stingrays but generally these interactions do cause some form of disturbance and/or damage to either the individual and/or population.

Caver
160 point member
Caver member image

I agree with you, and live and work in the Caymans.
This behavior in NO WAY benefits the animal. It only benefits the pockets of the people who charge money to exploit the animals.
If it were properly regulated and not exploited, yes it could be an important educational tool, however in it's current state, the environment in being polluted by the boats that bring the 1 Million tourists to see the stingrays every year.
Now you have the facts straight, and you have won support too.

Neil Van Niekerk
258 point member
Neil Van Niekerk member image