Contest entries
Banded coral shrimp
By J. Daniel Horovatin
posted 22:34 CST Today (within the last hour)
 Get on up  get on up  keep a moving on  little bit higher . Nudibranch   Flabellina rubrolineata. Samran  Thailand EM5 Oly 60mm 1/160 f8 iso200 Inon D2000 Inon UCL 165
By Stefan Follows
posted 22:33 CST Today (within the last hour)
Followed the curious sound of Donna Summer and Bee Gees music until I came upon the Shrimp with the Disco ball eyes...
By Tig Fong
posted 16:46 CST Today (6 hours ago)
This is my home
By Iyad Suleyman
posted 16:14 CST Today (6 hours ago)
Stargazer in Dauin   D
By Daniel Strub
posted 14:04 CST Today (8 hours ago)

By Nadya Kulagina
posted 12:50 CST Today (10 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestKelvin's Grove BC
Canada, Pacific
dive sites latestSouthern Komodo
Indonesia, Indian Ocean
dive sites latestPool
Egypt, Arabian Sea
dive sites latestPamilacan
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestsorry I dont know...
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestSealine beach
Qatar, Persian/Arabian Gulf
dive sites latestUnterwilen, Vitznau
Switzerland
dive sites latestlembeh bitung
Indonesia, Sulu and Sulawesi Seas
dive sites latest沙島
Taiwan, Philippine Sea
dive sites latesta
Philippines, Philippine Sea

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry
Turtle's Two World / Unlike most of the marine creatures,... by Richard (qingran) Meng
by: Richard (qingran) Meng
Turtle's Two World / Unlike most of the marine creatures,...
votes: 11
vote

forum thread for this image
posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011- (8/30/2011 6:54:00 PM)
category: Wide Angle - Marine Life
message this message is important Dear Richard,
Thank for your submission to the contest and welcome to UWP.
You have requested a review of your photo. Let me shortly explain how it works :
As we do have a limited space for each post here, please note that my review will be like 2-3 posts in total. If you want to answer me, please wait until my review has been completed; as photo critics, we do this job as volunteers; a "thank you" is always appreciated smile
My review is structured into chapters and I will list problem zones (if there are any) and I will suggest solutions on how to improve results.
Important : The "photo critic" feature here at UWP is not a putdown of uw photos. The objective is to see you here as a winner one day !
For the basics (in case of), an uw photography online course is available here at UWP and it's always a good idea to sign up for that one.

And here we go ! (Photo review starts with next post) :

Raoul Caprez
17774 point member
Raoul Caprez member image

message  Photo Critique :

First impression :
Nice subject for an over/under

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 ) :
Exposure : 4, Colours: 3, Sharpness: 4, DOF ( depth of field ) : 5, Contrast : 4

Suggested Solution :
It’s a very natural picture. Good, but … next time you could work with the RAW file format during postproduction to adjust the contrast and the colours for example.
In general, to have intensive colours on the picture, you have to go closer to your subject; even the strongest external strobe has a range of only 2 meters underwater, but for an over/under picture, the natural light can be enough if the sun is shining well.

Composition :
Centered subject which could have more space to swim.

Raoul Caprez
17774 point member

message  Suggested Solution :
In general, try not to put your subject in the middle, put your animal a little bit on the side (on the right in that case - to let your turtle swim); it helps to break the symmetry.
Personally, I also would have left more water under the turtle to increase the space around it.
Another time, you can also work on something different like a real reflection under the surface for example (just in case you want to work with reflection, the angle of your shot must be bigger than 50 degrees. Over 48 degrees, the surface acts like a mirror).

Subject
This kind of subject has always success for the spectators: nice move, nice face, … everything to have nice pictures, but it’s not always so easy to approach it.

Raoul Caprez
17774 point member

message  Suggested Solution :
With this subject, it’s usually possible to take more than one picture of the animal in different positions. Next time, I suggest you to wait a little longer for a second picture to show the fins a little bit better (in the blue up or down the shell instead of at the same height of the shell for example).
For the approach, it could be a good way to be just a little bit more opposite the turtle to accentuate the interaction between the animal and the photographer.

Epilogue
Welcome again to UWP.
Taking a nice over/under picture of a close animal is a hard exercise. Good challenge !
I’m looking forward to see your next post.
If you have time, have a look here in UWP at the “over/under” category to take ideas (there are incredible pictures).
All the best and happy bubbles.

Raoul (UWP Photo Critic)

--------Photo Critique completed--------

Raoul Caprez
17774 point member