Contest entries
A close up of the iconic Australian Weedy Seadragon. Its vibrant colors a treasure for everyone loves the underwater world.
By Francesco Ricci
posted 01:00 CST Today (within the last hour)
Algae Shrimp with back and side lighting.
By Marylin Batt
posted Monday, October 23, 2017
Sea pen porcelain crab  Porcellanella triloba  in a Sea pen  Virgularia gustaviana .
By Filip Staes
Dancing Star
By Mario Robillard
White tip reef sharks at Tubbataha
By Mathias Weck
Whale Shark and reflex  Isla Contoy M xico
By Alejandro Topete

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestCypress Spring
United States, Landlocked Seas/Lakes
dive sites latestSnapper Hole, Eas...
Cayman islands, Caribbean Sea
dive sites latestMango Bay
Thailand, Asian Sea
dive sites latestJapanese gargen
Thailand, Asian Sea
dive sites latestLeuk Bay Koa Tao
Thailand, Asian Sea
dive sites latestInland Sea South ...
Qatar, Persian/Arabian Gulf
dive sites latestChumphone island
Thailand, Asian Sea
dive sites latestLampedusa island
Italy, Mediterranean Sea
dive sites latestIsland View Beach
Canada, Pacific
dive sites latestTelegraph Cove
Canada, Pacific

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Question this message is importantHello,
I'm currently working on a project with Salmon fish in Norway.

The goal i to have a [b]high resolution and very sharp picture of a fish moving in front of an underwater camera in the Fjords[/b].
I tried with a GoPro 4 using high FPS video , "normal photo ", timelapse etc. and I always end up with a blurry picture. I thought about different ways to do as :
- Use lights with fast shutter speed : Problem > I must not have any light reflection on the fish skin
- Move the camera while the fish is moving : I tried at my office with a simple object, I got sharper image but it still blurry
- Use a very high speed camera (1000fps for example) : Didn't try that
- Use a very high ISO camera like the Sony a7S II : Didn't try that
- Use a special algorithm for motion blurry ([url="http://cg.postech.ac.kr/research/fast_motion_deblurring/"]http://cg.postech.ac.kr/research/fast_motion_deblurring/[/url]) : Try it, a bit sharper but not enough

What would be according to you th...

Mathieu Foru
27 point member
member image

message What would be according to you the best way to do so ?
See attached an example of the blurry pic I got.
Thank you !

Mathieu Foru
27 point member
member image

Answer Hi Mathieu; for a still image you need a fast shutter speed to stop the action of a moving fish. 1/500th second or faster for Dolphins, your Salmon shouldn't have a lot of motion blur even at 1/250th or faster. Better yet, is to use a flash which will stop action because it's duration might be 1/20,000th second. To use these speeds you need a lot of light, so if a flash is impractical try shooting mid day in bright sun, use a high ISO on the camera, and consider using an reflector if you can to bounce sunlight onto your scene. Hope that helps!

Steven
6922 point member
steven member image

message Thanks for your answer, so basically it is impossible to use lights and to dont have the light reflexion on the skin of the fish ?

Mathieu Foru
27 point member
member image

message I don't think so Mathieu, the flash can be soft and subtle with no overexposure, it just has to fire at a low power and balanced with the natural light. It is possible to "flash fill" with light that looks like no flash was used. Try reading the natural light and under exposing about a half stop, then flash fill on low power and maybe a diffuser.. This shoul produce a soft light that fills in shadows without the hot spot of a shiny fish. There is a guy named Eiko Jones that does a lot of beautiful Salmon work, and Uwe Schmulke has some epic over/unders on this site that you should check out- good luck!

Steven
6922 point member
steven member image

message Thank you so much ! I will contact those guys ! Have a wonderful day !

Mathieu Foru
27 point member
member image