Contest entries
Lion fish
By Sergiy Glushchenko
posted 16:06 CST Today (within the last hour)
Sodwana bay south africa
By Gordon Allison
posted 14:06 CST Today (2 hours ago)
The glass fish cloud was suddenly scared and started moving fast toward me inside the wreck.
By Dmitry Starostenkov
posted 13:55 CST Today (3 hours ago)
on a shore dive with Nina Baxa I found these two flamingo tongues engaged  so I took a picture.
By Patricia Sinclair
posted 11:39 CST Today (5 hours ago)
I saw these and thought that they would make a lovely photo  with the movement in the surge area they were growing in.
By Patricia Sinclair
posted 11:36 CST Today (5 hours ago)
On top of the wheelhouse of the Doc Paulson wreck was a grouping of sponges that I found beautiful.
By Patricia Sinclair
posted 11:32 CST Today (5 hours ago)

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestBlue Springs, Ora...
United States
dive sites latestDivespot BLACK RO...
Indonesia, Celebes Sea
dive sites latestTamar artificial ...
Israel, Red Sea
dive sites latestis.Pennata
Italy, Tyrrhenian Sea
dive sites latestPulau Bentenan
Indonesia, Celebes Sea
dive sites latestPiIllar Coral reef
United States, Atlantic (North American coastal)
dive sites latestWarrorah Station
Australia
dive sites latestMarsa Alam, Red Sea
Egypt, Red Sea
dive sites latestLangkawi Island
Malaysia, Andaman Sea
dive sites latestSomberro Reef
United States, Atlantic (North American coastal)

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Christopher Lynch

8ft manta,snorkeling@12+
8ft manta,snorkeling@12+ by Christopher Lynch
VOTES: 18
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012- (5/11/2012 9:01:00 AM)
Category: Wide Angle - Natural Light (no strobe)
message Dear Christopher
Thank for your latest submission to the UWP contest

You've requested a critique of your photo. How it works :
I will structure my critique into a few chapters and will list some suggested solutions to problem zones ( if there are any ). My critique will be like 2-3 posts in total, please wait with any answers until you see the note 'photo critic completed' - thanks!

As \we photo critics do this job as volunteers, a 'thank you' is always appreciated (no 'thanks' = no more critiques ).

Photo critiques here at UWP are meant to give a helping hand with an analytic review & to suggest solutions. The objective is to see you here as winner one day smile

And here we go ( critique/review starts with the next post ) !

Tn Diver
18836 point member
TN Diver member image

message ok ...thanks

Christopher Lynch
4288 point member
christopher  lynch member image

message Photo Critique:

First impression: First impression is that the subject (manta) pops out of the picture. I like that in a photo. The Manta looks as if he sees you!

Technical ( score from 1-6, best is 6 )
Exposure : 5, Colours: 5, Sparpness: 4, DOF ( depht of field ) : 3, Contrast : 3

Suggestions :I like the image and it's color, I think the image would be sharper by shooting closer and in doing so a wide angle lens would be handy. This image looks like it might have been taken with natural light. Godd use of the lighting in my opinion!

Composition:
Composition is lacking but understandable as it was probably quick shooting that captured this image. Angles and the way the subject fits in the image is very important. I would like to have seen the complete wing span exhibited. This could have been accomplished as I said using an wide angle lens.

Suggestions: See next post

Tn Diver
18836 point member
TN Diver member image

Suggestions :I think that a little cropping might make this a better image. Sometimes composition can be created and I think cropping this and closeup of the head would make a very interesting image.

Thanks for entering your images and please continue, we are glad to have you involved in our contest! Good Luck and Save the Sharks!!!!!

Tn Diver
18836 point member
TN Diver member image

I would have liked to have gotten the complete wing span ... thought I had... I was using a cannon G10 w/o any zoom... I think shutter lag time was a contributing factor....enclosed was 49 seconds earlier..

Christopher Lynch
4288 point member

the following was 1min 20 seconds later w/ another so so shot inbetween...allof the shots have had color corection ...w/ Aperture.

Christopher Lynch
4288 point member

focus not good enough for much cropping ... pax

Christopher Lynch
4288 point member

message Great shot!

Tn Diver
18836 point member
TN Diver member image

message I like it better than the submitted!

Tn Diver
18836 point member
TN Diver member image