Contest entries
Hey you ...  

Southern Ocean Sunfish   Mola ramsayi

Gilli Mimpang  Bali  Indonesia
By Stefan Follows
posted 05:22 CST Today (within the last hour)
Hymenocera picta on red sea star   double exposition.
Nikon D800E   105 macro   snoot Retra with Inon Z240
By Marchione Giacomo
posted 04:14 CST Today (1 hour ago)
shot@anilao
By Jinggong Zhang
posted 02:48 CST Today (3 hours ago)
shot@chiba Japan
By Jinggong Zhang
posted 02:47 CST Today (3 hours ago)
Whatchya looking at
By Pierre Mineau
posted 01:49 CST Today (4 hours ago)
Freediving at island Vis / Croatia
By Marjan Radovic
posted Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Photo Dive Sites
dive sites latestPikkusilta Päijän...
Finland, Landlocked Seas/Lakes
dive sites latestMalapascua philip...
Philippines, Philippine Sea
dive sites latestS.S. Nordby, Huahine
French Polynesia, Pacific
dive sites latestSan Nicolas, San ...
Mexico, Sea Of Cortés /Gulf of California
dive sites latestParclies
Qatar, Persian/Arabian Gulf
dive sites latestCobb's Cliff
Papua New Guinea, Solomon Sea
dive sites latestSan Antonio Point
Mexico, Sea Of Cortés /Gulf of California
dive sites latestMahuahuitas
Mexico, Pacific
dive sites latestTania's reef Miln...
Papua New Guinea, Solomon Sea
dive sites latestSpan 14 Panama...
United States, Gulf Of Mexico

infoYou are not logged so will not be able to make forum posts until you login or open a member account
  Really Simple Syndication  
Underwater Photo Contest Entry

Taken by: Allen Walker

"A Mothers love"
"A Mothers love" by Allen Walker
VOTES: 16
VOTE!

forum thread for this image
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2017- (1/5/2017 2:52:00 AM)
Category: Wide Angle - Marine Life
Book a Dive Trip to Reunion
message I'd love to see some different edits on this.. It's very cool!

Steven
6925 point member
steven member image

message Hey there Steven, I kept it simple with a little crop, but the water was very milky, so not great depth of field or definition, what are you thoughts on different processing?

Sarocks
6470 point member
SArocks member image

I don't claim to be a great editor smile but if you have several in a sequence like this it might be fun to take one, do a little more crop, then convert it to black and white.. what's nice about that is since you're dealing with less tones then, now you can push Contrast, Presence, Clarity, Sharpness etc. more than you could with color.. you can also go into the Blue color channel (under HSL) and push it to the right to brighten up your water column. Of course you can go too far with any of those sliders, but if you finish with some noise reduction it can bring a lot of contrast where there wasn't much before. Ken Keifer used to submit a lot of this look here with his sharks, I like the look myself, but the judges may not smile I used this work flow on this Dolphin image- and thought it was one of the coolest images I'd made, but it didn't even Shortlist so.... what do I know? smile it's just a thought because the composition is nice here, and I'll bet the full file looks great big

Steven
6925 point member
steven member image

message Hey there Steve, I will gladly drop box you the raw for some editing, shooo you mentioned quite a lot of changes I did not even know existed!! email address: allen@awphotosa.com, I was also not sure how much editing was allowed, this page says non to very little.....but I suppose this is the nature of the game now a days and not push and pull in dark rooms!!

Sarocks
6470 point member
SArocks member image

Answer 
Here is one of the images from this set...

Sarocks
6470 point member
SArocks member image

message that's gorgeous.. -so I just emailed you my address. You mentioned a good point though, on the categories. If you use the Creative Manipulated category you do anything you like.. (so I end up putting a lot of my stuff there)

Steven
6925 point member
steven member image

This must have been quite an experience.. I love this pose, and applied what we discussed. Other people could do this much better then me, and if you really wanted to spend time on it- these adjustments are mostly global, so fixing the whale messes up the background.. the solution would be to edit them separately and then paint the background in.

Steven
6925 point member
steven member image

This is mainly playing with (de)saturation

Steven
6925 point member
steven member image

You can use brushes to do local changes, but if you layered an edit for the background and a different one for the whales you could clean this up. I think your in-camera work is right on, but a photoshop expert and some time could fix the little flaws you might see here.. (I am definitely not one smile of course this means the "creative category" at that point. Thanks for letting me see your full file work on a big monitor- very cool stuff! smile

Steven
6925 point member
steven member image

message Thanks Steve ;), appreciated

Sarocks
6470 point member
SArocks member image